Sunday Confessions 1/23/11


Weekly Meme from To Read or Not To Read

This week Marcie asks:
Do you need silence to read?

Tevya:
I don't need silence to read. I tend to get so immersed in what I'm reading that I tune everything else out. I can read anywhere, anytime, and I'm in my own little world. I don't notice anything going on around me. This is a trait that drives my husband, my kids, and my other family absolutely crazy. My response...they shouldn't be trying to talk to me while I'm reading. The problem...I read all the time, so I sorta understand their frustration...sorta.

Andrea:
I need silence to read. I often get distracted if something else is going on around me. The silence allows me to totally relax and lose myself within the pages. Converstations, music, and the television are my biggest distractors. I typically end up having to reread when these things are around.


How about you? Do you need silence to read? Leave us a comment and share your thoughts!

Comments

  1. Yes, Tevya, it does drive your family nuts at times...but you've always been a tad OCD about whatever you get into. I tend to be a combination...once I'm into a book, I can read through most distractions. I need quiet to begin a book, otherwise I'll be like Andrea, rereading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sandy - Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, Momma! I get my love of reading from you. :) You were an excellent role model for me, and always encouraged me to read and write. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it depends on what I'm reading. Nonfiction demands silence for me- fiction that I've been assigned to read, as well. But if I'm reading a novel for fun, I can read it anywhere and tune out the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can usually read without silence. I think I've learned to block out everything but the words in my head now. It's definitely a skilled I've honed over time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!