Book Review: Illusions


Illusions
By: Aprilynne Pike
Release Date: May 3, 2011
375 pages
Buy it on Amazon or IndieBound
Audience: YA
Source: I own it




My thoughts:
This is book 3 of the Wings trilogy, with at least one more book to follow. I really love this series. It's very easy to put myself in Laurel's shoes, even though she's not human. Her struggles with finding a balance between her human life and her life in Avalon, mirror the struggle of most adolescents, as well as many adults, to balance reality with fantasy. And like many people, the character's confusion about which of the two worlds is her reality is nearly universal. 

In this volume, Laurel continues to realize that the more she figures things out, the more confused she gets. Both the plot and the characters become more intriguingly complex. Laurel learns of an entire counter-culture to Avalon, which leads her to some self-examination and questioning of her purpose in the human world. 

Her heart remains torn between David and Tamani, though she does have opportunity to explore both relationships on even deeper levels. I will say that I've been strictly Team David up until this book. I am convinced that the author intended to create in the reader's heart the same sort of push and pull for these two boys: I now find that I have some Team Tamani leanings.

I'll admit that I was a little frustrated a little with this one because of the lack of resolution. I went into it believing I would be reading the last book of the series. After having finished it, I think there could easily be two or three more, with all the open plotlines and nicely complicated characters. This story is no longer just about Laurel- but if we take the faerie perspective, it never was.

Summary from GoodReads:
Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.


Comments

  1. Great review, Paula. I need to read this one. I really enjoyed the first two books in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!