Book Review: Shift

Shift (Shade #2)
Published By: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: May 2011
Page Count: 367
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Fantasy, Paranormal

Another favourite to add to my shelf!


I have been enjoying a really great roll of good books lately... and I have to confess I was a little worried about Shift because it was the second book in the Shade trilogy... and we all know how painful seconds books can be... but upon closing Shift, I can say that my roll with awesome books continues!  

Sure there was LOTS of angst... and maybe I'm getting a thicker skin... but it just worked in this book.   Aura is trying to move on with her life (possibly with Zachary), but Logan's presence continues to hold her back and muddle her feelings for both of them.  I totally bought into the angst because Aura was still trying to deal with Logan's death... and it was made that much harder for her because Logan was still "there" -- not wanting to let go of her and his tenuous grasp on the living world.  Logan is infuriatingly adorable and lovable.  But then a big question was asked of him -- one that turned out to be a crucial turning point for him -- a point from which he just grew up, and with that, he took a little piece of my heart with him.


I found Shift to be all about discovery.   Discovery of Aura's origins (the secrets from her mother), the mysteries of the Shift, and the three major characters' discoveries of themselves.  They all had their worst moments and their best moments in this installment.   

So although I'm still thoroughly "Team Zachary", I did find myself a little disenchanted with our Scottish heart-throb with a poor error in judgment he made... but at the same time, I did understand why he did what he did even though I didn't like it.  Like all the characters, they're all going through their "stuff" and Zachary wasn't any exception.  He has been patient with Aura, but as he said once in Shade, "I'm no' saint" (or something like that).

I think my heart melted on more than one occasion during those special times between Aura & Zachary (as well as Aura & Logan), and I might have reread the scene by the river a couple of times.  He-he...

Aura -- I still really enjoyed going through her journey with her as well, even though she was being pulled in so many different directions and admittedly not handling some of it very well.  Despite some of the content of the book, she's not an adult -- she's still impulsive and has her insecurities like many teens -- but what I always look for in a good protagonist is growth... and there was that in Aura.   

I did sort of have ambivalent feelings about the little detour between Aura and Dylan (Logan's younger 16 yr old brother).  I understood their bond, and how they might have confused their feelings for each other with respect to their own losses they experienced with Logan but I might have uttered an audible sigh of relief when they realized what they were about to do. 

The ending of Shift was beautifully done ... and even though we know there is more to the story, I'm happy with the resolutions that needed to be fulfilled in this installment and I did in fact need some tissues at the end.


I was totally engulfed in this book. It had everything I love in a story and I've enjoyed tagging along on this journey so far... unraveling mysteries with lots of sexy romance woven in.  I will note, however, that there is some mature content more suitable for older teens.  I SOOOO can't wait for SHINE and hope the story continues with the change of scenery that was hinted at. 



Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

Comments