Book BFF: Kate Mercier


Book BFF was created by Larks Andrea, Paula, and Jen to showcase some of our favorite ladies & was originally inspired by Book Boyfriend. We'd love it if you'd join us featuring your favorite Book BFFs and leaving links so we can check out your posts. We will be alternating between Book Boyfriends and Book BFFs on Thursdays. 

This week my Book BFF is Kate Beaumont Mercier 
from Amy Plum's The Revenants trilogy
Book 1:  Die For Me / Book 2:  Until I Die 

Kate's Appearance (describing herself):

My long brown hair was lifeless; my skin, which thanks to my mother's genes never tans, was paler than usual.  And my blue-green eyes were so unlike my sister's sultry, heavy-lidded "bedroom eyes."  "Almond eyes" my mom called mine, much to my chagrin.  I would rather have an eye shape that evoked steamy encounters than one described by a nut.  "You're gorgeous," Georgia concluded.  My sister...my only fan. ~ Kate, Die For Me

Of course, Kate is anything but plain to those around her, particularly in the eyes of Vincent (and Jules).

  
Facts About Kate:

- 16 year old Kate and her older sister Georgia moved to Paris, France from the U.S. to live with their grandparents following the deaths of both their parents.

- Kate was in a deep depression following her parents' deaths.

- She loves to read -- especially in the quiet little corners of quaint little cafes in and around Paris.

- Kate's other favourite past-time includes visiting museums -- it's a place she feels at home and is her refuge.

- She seems to have a natural talent for wielding a sword.

- Kate is fluent in French thanks to her many previous visits with her grandparents, Mamie and Papy.

- She not only has Vincent's heart but Vincent's best friend Jules seems to have a huge crush on her. 

Quotes from Kate/About Kate (all quotes were found on Goodreads):

Besides the alternate universe offered by a book, the quiet space of a museum was my favorite place to go. My mom said I was an escapist at heart . . . that I preferred imaginary worlds to the real one. It’s true that I’ve always been able to yank myself out of this world and plunge myself into another. ~ Kate, Die For Me
 
I love him.  I had been keeping those three words stuffed deep inside of me, for my own protection.  But I was done with self-preservation and my heart was open.  I had feared that love would make me vulnerable.  Instead I felt empowered.  
~ Kate, Die For Me

A few Paris blocks away I led a completely normal life with my sister & grandparents. And here I was sword fighting with dead guys. ~Kate, Until I Die

“The day I stop seeing you as one of the strongest people I know is the day I wake up human.”  Vincent to Kate ~ Until I Die

“Sorry I'm not your boyfriend. And I mean that in all sorts of ways.”  ~ Jules to Kate, Until I Die
 

Why Is Kate My Book BFF:

 Kate is REAL, insightful, funny, smart and honest and those are traits found in all my friends.  For 16 years old, she is mature -- her mother always believed she was an 'old soul' and that is evident in her personality.  I love that Kate remains independent and thinks for herself despite how good she is with Vincent.  She's developing a tough outer shell through the confidence Vincent has in her and in teaching her how to fight. In Jules's words... "she's kick-ass".  Even though Kate is 100% human, with no supernatural abilities whatsoever, she's remarkable and strong when facing dangerous situations.  She gives 100% of herself in defending all those she loves and cares for.
 

Who Do I Picture as Kate:

The best person I can think of that matches my mental image of Kate is Shelley Hennig who played Diana Meade on The Secret Circle (which was sadly cancelled recently). 
 

Comments