Book Review: Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)
Published By: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: October 13, 2009
Page Count:  391 pages
Buy it at:  Amazon, Barnes & Noble, IndieBound
Source: Book Purchased by Reviewer
Audience:  Young Adult Paranormal/Fantasy


I have revised my review for Hush, Hush after rereading it prior to Crescendo and Silence (still have to read Finale). I'd like to start off by stating that I loved this first book in the series WAAAY more than the remaining installments that I've read to date.  This first book hooked me, and now I just must see it through to find out what happens even though I felt the story ventured off the awesome path it first set out on.

So...about Hush, Hush...as I was reviewing the story... I had several ah-ha moments because the familiarities and revelations from the first reading all clicked back into place. And because I love this story so much, REreading it was a pleasure!!

The character building was strong. We quickly
learn that Nora has some issues with "trust, passing judgement and keeping life on a short leash". Her father was murdered a year earlier so it's pretty easy to understand where she is coming from. When she first meets Patch... his vibes leave her feeling very uneasy... he's cocky, and seems to know A LOT about her without her ever divulging much of it to anyone. Her conscience is telling her to run but she can't... she can't explain the draw she has to him.
Patch comes across as a "bad boy", but we quickly learn there is a lot more depth to his character. Patch is a fallen angel. He was dispatched from heaven after lusting after a human girl a long time ago. Having his wings literally ripped out of his back, he is exhiled to live among humans. And Patch longs to be human in every way. Living as a fallen angel among humans is actually a cruel punishment for angels because he can be emotionally attached to another human, but cannot physically FEEL anything -- neither touch nor pain. However, there is a two-week period, during Cheshvan, where he can possess another person... a nephilim vassal (offspring of a human/fallen angel mating) to experience EVERYTHING a human can experience. Patch's goal is to become a fully-fledged human... and to do that, he has to kill his vassal, or a descendant of the one he possesses.

One thing that is seriously worth mentioning is the incredible, sexy tension between Nora and Patch...the pages literally smolder when they are together. (Yes, I'm thinking of the kitchen counter scene.)

One of my favourite lines in the book; Nora, after having learned the nature of how Patch physically feels, "Do you want to possess my body?"
Patch responds, "I want to do a lot of things to your body, but that's not one of them."

The story is full of crazy twists and turns... some you start to suspect, while others just seem to come out of nowhere. The revelations, as they unfolded, left me saying a silent "NOOOO" most of the time. There's action and suspense...it has everything! Great supporting cast of characters as well...both the good ones and the bad.

I will admit that I am not a big fan of Nora's best friend Vee, though. She drove me crazy!!

Sometimes, I felt that Patch was truly up to no good and felt that same urge Nora had to run screaming in the other direction... while other times...I was falling madly in love with him right alongside Nora. He's simply irresistible.

I will note that I've since read the next two sequels, and feel that the best book of this series was this first one.

Look for my review for Crescendo coming soon.

Check out Andrea's review of Silence here.



Synopsis from Goodreads:

A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE


Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

 

Comments