Throwback Thursday: The Children of the New Forest


Throwback Thursday is a new feature at Reading Lark. We'll still be doing some Book Boyfriend Posts and Book BFF Posts on Thursdays as well, but the Larks wanted a little variety on Thursdays. Throwback Thursday will allow us to celebrate some of the reads we loved way back when...

The Children of the New Forest
By: Frederick Marryat
Release Date: 1847


This was one of my favorite stories as a child. First of all, I loved learning about the times of Oliver Cromwell, the Roundheads and the Cavaliers. I studied Charles I and Charles II at school, and this brought that area of English history to life in a way that nothing else did. I loved how the children had to learn about new crafts and adapt to life in the forest, while evading the soldiers that killed their parents. I think the element of me that loves reading about skill acquisition perhaps started here with butter making, chicken rearing and hunting for venison. I don't know how popular this story is in America, but this is a really awesome slice of history and it makes a great story too!   In The Children of the New Forest, Marryat describes the trials and triumphs of the four Beverley children, orphaned during the English Civil War and forced to take refuge with a poor woodsman in the New Forest. This is the first annotated edition of a great children's classic, which has retained its popularity since 1847.

Comments