Book Review: The Visitor

The Visitor (Graveyard Queen #4)
Published By: MIRA
Publication Date: March 29, 2016
Page Count: 384
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Adult - Paranormal

I have been anxious for this series to continue for so long! The author took a break due to personal issues, but things with Amelia Gray are now back on track. I can't say enough about this series. If you're a paranormal reader, this is a must read.

Amelia has learned some troubling things about her gifts and family in the previous books, but this novel is going to ramp everything up to a higher gear. Not only is Amelia seeing ghosts, but she fears that she is also seeing things that are not quite ghosts and not quite human. To make matters worse, she is also being haunted by an eyeless ghost who could be her identical twin. That's enough to give any girl the creeps, but things get more intriguing when Amelia is approached about restoring a cemetery full of suicide victims in a former colony in rural South Carolina. Amelia feels that she is being compelled to take on this project, but for good or bad ends she can't be sure.

The Kroll colony and cemetery provide some creeptastic background moments. I was fascinated by that plot point, but I have to admit that I had trouble reading this one at night. It gave me chills and made for some pretty scary dreams. It took a bit longer to read because I only allowed myself to read during daylight hours. I love how Stevens combines her ghostly world and realistic mystery elements. It always makes spending time with Amelia intriguing.

In addition to the paranormal and mystery elements, I love the romance between Amelia and Devlin. They have this forbidden sort of passion between them. I fear things may not end well for them as the series progresses, but I hope they find a way to stay together.

It's hard to review this one without spoiling the previous books or giving anything away about the mystery in this one, but I will say that Stevens is a master of keeping me guessing. I love an author that can engage my brain, heart, and curiosity all at once. It was so nice to dive back into this world and I'm anxiously awaiting book #5, The Sinner, which hits shelves this fall.


One Last Gripe: I did have to go back to look at my old reviews and notes from the previous books. I had trouble recalling some things due to the time gap between books, but Stevens also did a nice a job of briefly recapping parts to help fill in those knowledge holes.

Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved getting back into Amelia's world.

First Sentence: The blind ghost returned in the spring, and with her more nightmares.

Favorite Character: Amelia

Least Favorite Character: Micah



My name is Amelia Gray. I'm the Graveyard Queen.

Restoring lost and abandoned cemeteries is my profession, but I'm starting to believe that my true calling is deciphering the riddles of the dead. Legend has it that Kroll Cemetery is a puzzle no one has ever been able to solve. For over half a century, the answer has remained hidden within the strange headstone inscriptions and intricate engravings. Because uncovering the mystery of that tiny, remote graveyard may come at a terrible price.

Years after their mass death, Ezra Kroll's disciples lie unquiet, their tormented souls trapped within the walls of Kroll Cemetery, waiting to be released by someone strong and clever enough to solve the puzzle. For whatever reason, I'm being summoned to that graveyard by both the living and the dead. Every lead I follow, every clue I unravel brings me closer to an unlikely killer and to a destiny that will threaten my sanity and a future with my love, John Devlin.

Comments

  1. Ooooo, an eyeless ghost and cemetery creepiness ...YES! I do enjoy paranormal stories, this series is going on my tbr list :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!